Wednesday, July 26, 2006

How to make a bezel set opal pendant.

The first thing I need is some bezel wire and as today I have run out I’ll need to make some more. This is a time consuming task. I often buy bezel wire but as I am not always happy in the quality I get from a goldsmith I tend to make it. Also, the gold merchant has only two sizes 3mm x 0.3mm and 5mm x 0.3mm. Sometimes I like thick bezels that I can cut down and file to shape.

Step one is to get some scrap metal left from castings that I have not used or ones that have failed and also bits of cut up scrap. I do not use any old rings or pieces which might have impurities in them.

Pleae note: If the images cannot be seen in this article go to my site www.opaljewelryexpress.com and look for this article in the jewelry information section.

I am going to melt this gold down in a crucible with a mixture of propane gas and oxygen using a large torch specially bought for this purpose.


Step Two
I put a pinch of borax powder on the metal so that it will flow. Once the gold has melted and is the correct temperature I pour it into a mould which will make it into an ingot that resembles a big nail. When I am pouring I keep the gold hot with the torch.


Once it has been poured I open the mould and take the gold out and quench it in water.


Step Three
I then anneal the metal. This means that I heat it to a cherry red colour with a bushy blue/yellow flame and then I quench it again. This will happen many, many times as the metal needs to be brought back to its original state.

When you hammer or squash metal it gets hard and brittle. This is called work hardening. It makes the metal unworkable so I need to anneal it and bring it back to its correct form.

Step Four.

I now pass the gold through a rolling mill. When the metal gets about half its thickness I need to anneal it again. Eventually what stated off as a piece of metal about 100mm long will be around a metre long and will be ideal to use as bezel wire.

Step Five.

Now I have some bezel wire and I wrap it around the opal. I get the rough shape and the size is nearly perfect. It has taken me a long time to be able to guess where I need to cut the wire to make it the right size.

I now put this on a steel mandrel and with a rawhide or bounceless hammer I hammer it to the correct shape and the opal fits snugly into the bezel.

The next step is to solder it to a piece of plate which I will show next time.

3 Comments:

Blogger John said...

michael kors outlet
kobe 10s
coach factory outlet
michael kors uk
oakley sunglasses
pandora outlet
cheap toms
michael kors outlet store
canada goose outlet store
tory burch shoes
abercrombie outlet
ray ban sunglasses
ray ban sunglasses outlet
concords 11
michael kors outlet
michael kors outlet clearance
beats by dr dre
michael kors outlet
ray-ban sunglasses
ugg sale
fake oakley sunglasses
canada goose sale
christian louboutin
oakley outlet
nfl jerseys
louis vuitton outlet
nike huarache
toms wedges
nfl jerseys wholesale
louis vuitton bags
canada goose outlet
cheap rolex watches
ralph lauren outlet
ralph lauren
tiffany jewelry
cheap ray ban sunglasses
fitflop clearance
michael kors outlet
kate spade handbags
2016202yuanyuan

6:49 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

louboutin outlet
christian louboutin
cheap jordans for sale
jordans 2016
jordan 11
Jordan 11 Retro 72 10
coach sale
coach outlet stores
kate spade handbags outlet
kate spade sale
2015 michael kors outlet
Michael Kors Store
michael kors jewelry
michael kors handbags outlet
michael kors tote
Michael Kors Sale
michael kors factory
michael kors bags
macys michael kors
michael kors hamilton
jordan 13
jordan retro 7
lebron 12
kobe 9
nike outlet
nike air max thea
nike free trainer 5.0
nike free 5.0
christian louboutin men
christian louboutin outlet
mbt Shoes

10:55 PM  
Blogger بروكر said...


I definitely love this site.
https://prokr2020.livejournal.com/
https://prokr2020.cms.webnode.com/khdmat-brwkr/
https://www.tumblr.com/blog/prokr2020
https://www.prokr.net/ksa/jeddah-water-leaks-detection-isolate-companies/

9:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home